MD Application 2022 - 2023 Cycle Updates
We would like to thank you for your interest and for the tremendous amount of effort you’ve placed in the application to the MD Program at the Temerty Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto. To ensure that you are kept in the loop throughout our 2022-2023 admissions cycle (2021-2022 academic session), we will be providing regular updates below.
Admissions Renewal – Phase 3 Changes
As part of our continued efforts to modernize and make our admission process more holistic, effective July 1, 2021, the following changes will be implemented.
Minimum GPA Requirement for Graduate Applicants:
- Existing: The minimum undergraduate OMSAS GPA requirement for graduate applicants is 3.0.
- New: The minimum undergraduate OMSAS GPA requirement for graduate applicants will be 3.3.
Graduate applicants who have experienced extenuating circumstances during their undergraduate studies and as a result have (a) a period in their studies that does not reflect their true academic abilities and (b) meet our new minimum GPA requirement may write an academic explanations essay to request for special consideration. Please note however meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee your outcome in the cycle.
Autobiographical Sketch & Statements
- Existing: Applicants are required to submit an autobiographical sketch (ABS), which is a comprehensive list of their activities and achievements since age 16 (ABS List), and three ABS statements of 250 words or less.
- New: Applicants will be required to submit the ABS List and one ABS statement of 500 words or less. The one ABS statement needs to discuss the following: Write about an impactful experience from your Autobiographical Sketch that demonstrates your personal growth, character and values. How did this experience prepare you for medical school?
Brief Personal Essays
- Existing: Applicants are required to submit four original brief personal essays, with each essay answering a specific question related to the Faculty’s mission and values. Each brief personal essay must be 250 words or less.
- New: Applicants are required to submit two original brief personal essays, with each essay answering a specific question related to the Faculty’s mission and values. Each brief personal essay must be 250 words or less.