The interview stage is the final stage of the admissions process. We invite approximately 640 applicants to attend an admissions interview in Toronto.
Interviewee Selection Process
Interviewees are selected based on file review scores. Interview dates are assigned at random as file reviews are completed and do not reflect any ranking in our admissions process. If you are not selected for interview, you will receive a refusal letter. Interview invitations and refusal letters continue to be sent until the last interview date, as the files are reviewed.
The 2021-2022 interviews will be conducted virtually.
2022 MD Virtual MPI Dates:
- Saturday, February 5, 2022
- Sunday, February 27, 2022
- Sunday, March 13, 2022
2021 MD/PhD Virtual MPI Dates:
The 2021-2022 MD/PhD interviews will be conducted virtually and in two steps. Please note that there are no alternative dates.
- Sunday, February 6, 2022 - asynchronous vMPI interviews
- Sunday, March 6, 2022 - synchronous vMPI interviews
Please refer to 2022 MD/PhD Interview format for more information.
Important Notes for Applicants
- We send interview invitations by e-mail to the address that you have provided on your Ontario Medical School Application Service (OMSAS) application. If you need to update your e-mail address, you should do so through OMSAS. Updates cannot be made through the Enrolment Services office and you do not need to update us as we will automatically be updated by OMSAS.
- We typically e-mail interview invitations at least two weeks prior to the interview date. However, we may continue to e-mail invitations during the week leading up to the interview date in order to ensure all interview spaces are filled.
- You are required to respond to your interview invitation by the date outlined in the e-mail invitation. If we do not receive a response by the date indicated, we will make reasonable efforts to contact you by other means (telephone, authorized contact person, etc.). Failure to respond to the invitation may result in the cancellation of your application.
- Applicants requiring accommodation during the virtual interview process must notify the Admissions Office in writing at email@example.com as soon as they have received the invitation to interview. All requests for accommodation during the interview process will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Our office will request supporting documentation following the initial review to determine how to best meet their needs during the vMPI process.
- You must attend the interview on the date and time indicated in your interview invitation.
- If you are unavailable on a particular interview date due to Religious Observances (e.g., Sabbath, Passover, Friday Prayers, and Eid al-Fitr), please kindly email firstname.lastname@example.org for accommodation. You may also advise us of your circumstances directly on the interview RSVP form. Such accommodations will have no impact on your MD admissions outcome.
- If you are unavailable on a particular interview date due to other extenuating circumstance(s), we will also make best efforts, when possible, to provide accommodations.
The Modified Personal Interview (MPI) was developed by the University of Toronto’s Temerty Faculty of Medicine and launched in 2014. The virtual MPI (vMPI), an adapted version of the traditional MPIs, was introduced in 2020 in response to the global COVID-19 pandemic and related university closure. Both MPI interview formats are used for admission to the University of Toronto’s MD Program.
The MPI consists of four independent interviews assessed by four different interviewers. Interviewers are closely connected to U of T’s medical community and may include physicians, medical students, residents, health professionals and community members. Each interview is approximately 12 minutes in length.
The vMPI also consists of four independent interviews assessed by four different raters. Raters are closely connected to U of T’s medical community and may include physicians, medical students, residents, health professionals and community members. Each virtual interview is completed asynchronously and the video response is approximately 5 minutes in length.