Interview Days and the MPI
Each year, approximately 640 applicants to the MD Program are invited to attend an admissions interview in Toronto.
Important invitation facts:
Applicants are invited to attend interviews based on their file review scores. Please note that invitations are sent on a rolling basis between January and March of each admissions cycle, and as soon as your files are reviewed. The date (or, the order as to) when you receive an invitation is not related to your ranking in our process at all; it specifically relates to how soon your file reviewers were able to complete this task for us.
At U of T, we use an interview format called the Modified Personal Interview (MPI). This year, as with our previous cycle, we will be using an adapted version called the virtual Modified Personal Interview (vMPI).
Please refer to Interviewing for more information on the interview dates and process for the 2022-2023 academic year.
What is the vMPI?
The vMPI consists of four independent interviews assessed by four different, independent interviewers. Interviewers are closely connected to U of T’s medical community.
Each interview is approximately 5 minutes in length. We allow 3 minutes to review and consider your responses.
Although the vMPI completed in full will take about 33 minutes, you will have one hour to complete and submit the interview process.
Why are MPIs used?
The goal of the MPI is to learn more about each you, and to assess whether or not you possess the competencies necessary to be successful in U of T’s medical school.
How will I know if I am invited for an interview?
You will normally receive an email interview invitation at least two weeks prior to an interview date. If space permits, we will continue to send email invitations leading up to the week of the interviews, but only up to the end of Tuesday of the interview week (or, 3 business days from the interview date) to ensure that you will have sufficient time to review our invitation/instructions, plan for, and test our virtual interview platform.
As we get closer to our interview season, please check your inbox regularly, including your junk mail folder. If we do not receive a response to our invitation, we will also follow up by emailing and/or calling you to check-in/make sure you are okay.
How should I prepare for the interview?
Students prepare in all sorts of ways in the weeks running up to the interview. We asked 2 students to share their preparation and interview tips during a Facebook Live chat that you can watch on our Facebook page here. Applicants should also familiarize themselves with our four clusters of attributes and CanMEDS Roles as a frame of reference during their preparation.
For more insights on how you can prepare for the Virtual MD Interviews, check our upcoming Let's Chat: Interview Preparation with our Admissions Team.
Pre and Post Interview Activities
As we look forward to welcome you to the University of Toronto’s medical school interview weekend, we have additionally planned a series of pre- and post-interview social activities to share more information about our program and medical education community.
- Our student-led sessions are also virtual drop-ins where you can informally connect with current MD students.
- Our financial aid webinars will give you an opportunity to learn more about our unparalleled and unique financial aid and scholarship programs. Ask questions about financing your medical education, completing our admissions scholarship and bursary application, and any other topics you may wish to discuss with our student financial services team.
Pre - Interview Activities
Virtual Coffee Chats
An informal gathering during which our Student Admission Representatives and current MD students will share insights about our medical program, academies, clinical placements, observerships, and many more. Information regarding these sessions will be included in your interview confirmation email.
- For applicants attending Interview Day 1: Friday February 10, 2023 @ 4:30 - 6:30 pm
- For applicants attending Interview Day 2: Friday March 17, 2023 @ 4:30 - 6:30 pm
- For applicants attending Interview Day 3: Friday March 31, 2023 @ 4:30 - 6:30 pm
Post Interview Sessions
2023 ISAP Social with Current Indigenous Medical Students, Residents, and Faculty
- Sunday, February 12, 2023 @2:30-3:30
2023 BSAP Socials with the U of T Black Medical Students’ Association
- For applicants attending Interview Day 1: Wednesday February 15, 2023 @ 6:00 -7:00 pm
- For applicants attending Interview Day 2: Tuesday March 21, 2023 @ 6:00 -7:00 pm
- For applicants attending Interview Day 3: Tuesday April 4, 2023 @ 6:00 -7:00 pm
2023 Financial Aid Webinar
Learn more about the various awards and scholarships available to MD students.
- For applicants attending Interview Day 1: Wednesday February 15, 2023 @ 5:00 - 6:00 pm
- For applicants attending Interview Day 2: Tuesday March 21, 2023 @ 5:00 - 6:00 pm
- For applicants attending Interview Day 3: Tuesday April 4, 2023 @ 5:00 - 6:00 pm
This is a larger social for all interviewees held after all the interviews are completed.
- Wednesday April 19, 2023 @ 4:30 - 6:30 pm