Postgraduate Medical Residency Training Programs
A medical degree does not necessarily give you the right to practice as a physician. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have met all the licensing requirements of the country in which you intend to practice medicine.
If you are in Canada on a study permit (visa), there will be some restrictions as to where you can apply for medical residency training within Canada after obtaining your medical degree. Applications are managed via the Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS). For provincial eligibility criteria, please see the summary of intake criteria for visa holders.
You may apply to participate in a US medical residency training program match as an international medical graduate from a Canadian medical school. There are a number of different organizations handling applications to residency programs:
- FREIDA: a searchable database of all US residency programs that will be offering positions in the current match year.
- NRMP (National Resident Matching Program): receives applicant rank order lists and runs the match for most US residency positions.
- ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service): hosts electronic residency applications and distributes them to NRMP-participating residency programs.
- CaRMS (Canadian Resident Matching Service): acts as your “designated Dean’s Office” for ERAS, providing you with an ERAS registration token and processing all of your residency application supporting documentation to the ERAS system.
- SFMatch (SF Match Residency and Fellowship Matching Services): matches applicants to US residency positions in Child Neurology and Ophthalmology.
- AUA (American Urological Association): matches applicants to US residency positions in Urology.
For medical residency training in all other countries, please check with the representative organization(s) within that country.
If you are an international medical graduate hoping to undertake further training or an observership via the University of Toronto, you should contact Postgraduate Medical Education.